Rescue® W-H-Y® Trap
The W-H-Y® Trap for Wasps, Hornets, & Yellowjackets and the W-H-Y® attractant kit are proven to lure and trap the following species: Paper Wasp ( Polistes fuscatus), European Paper Wasp( P. dominulus), Golden Paper Wasp (P. aurifer), Paper Wasp (P. metricus), Red Wasp (P. Carolina), European Hornet (Vespa crabro), Bald-faced Hornet (Dolichovespula maculata), Aerial Yellowjacket (D. arenaria), Blackjacket (Vespula consobrina), California Yellowjacket (V. sulphurea), Common Yellowjacket
(V. vulgaris), Eastern Yellowjacket (V. maculifrons), Forest Yellowjacket (V. acadica), German Yellowjacket (V. germanica), Northeastern Yellowjacket (V. vidua) Prairie Yellowjacket (V. atropilosa), Southern Yellowjacket (V. squamosa), Transition Yellowjacket (V. flavopilosa) and Western Yellowjacket (V. pensylvanica.)
Active ingredient: Heptyl Butyrate
Active ingredients: 2-Methyl-1-butanol
Active ingredients: Acetic Acid
It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling. For residential, commercial, and agricultural use. For non-food use only. Do not hang trap if you are allergic to wasp, hornet or yellowjacket stings.
- Remove twist-tie and enclosed Attractant Vial and Attractant Bottle from top chamber.
- Remove Attractant Tube and felt pad from bottom chamber. (Leave cone in place.)
- Bait the bottom chamber first:
- Place felt pad into center of bottom cap.
- Cut tip of Attractant Tube.
- Carefully empty attractant liquid onto felt pad.
- Screw bottom cap back in place.
- Set trap on flat surface.
- Next, bait the top chamber:
- Remove Attractant Vial from its plastic pouch.
- Pop open lid to Attractant Vial and snap into one of three notches next to the cone in the top cap.
- Pour Attractant Bottle contents into top chamber.
- Add water to top chamber so solution reaches the Start Line. Add 1-2 drops dishwashing liquid to the water mixture.*
- Thread twist-tie through hole on top cap.
- Screw top cap back on and hang trap outdoors.
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Hang trap outdoors, at least 20 feet away from plants grown for food or feed, building entries, and any known wasp, hornet or yellowjacket nests. Hang traps in late evening or early morning when wasps, hornets and yellowjackets are less active.
- In extreme hot and dry weather, hang trap in the shade.
*Adding dishwashing liquid to the water mixture in the top chamber will coat the insects’ wings and make it harder for them to fly once trapped. In hot and dry weather, liquid level in top chamber may evaporate below the Start Line before the attractant is due to be replaced. Do NOT add additional water to bring the liquid back up to the Start Line, as it will reduce attractant effectiveness.
Use 2-4 raps for a 10,000 square foot area, or 8 to 16 traps per acre. For areas with heavy infestation, use a maximum of 48 traps per acre.
Reusing the Trap
The attractants in the W-H-Y® Trap are designed to last 2 weeks. W-H-Y® Attractant Kit refills, which last an additional 2 weeks, should be available for purchase wherever the W-H-Y® Trap is sold. Refills are also available through various online retailers; please visit www.whytrap.com for details.
- Check to make sure all trapped insects are dead.
- Empty dead insects and wipe insect residue from trap. (Top chamber cannot be emptied of insects without replacing the attractant.)
- Follow directions for baiting the bottom and top chambers in the initial setup instructions.
Keep out of reach of children. HAZARDS TO HUMANS AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS.
Caution. Causes moderate eye irritation. Avoid contact with eyes or clothing. Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water after handling. Remove and wash contaminated clothing before reuse. This product contains wasp, hornet and yellowjacket attractant. Wasp, hornet and yellowjacket stings can cause allergic reactions and death. Seek immediate medical attention if stung and an allergic reaction occurs.
If in Eyes: Hold eye open and rinse slowly and gently with water for 15-20 minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present, after the first 5 minutes, then continue rinsing. Call a poison control center or doctor for treatment advice. Have the product container or label with you when calling a poison control center, doctor, or going for treatment. For emergency information concerning this product, call the National Pesticides Information Center (NPIC) at 1-8010-858-7378 seven days a week, 6:30 AM to 4:30 PM Pacific Time.
Storage and Disposal
Do not contaminate water, food or feed by storage or disposal.
Storage: Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated location out of reach of children and pets.
Disposal: Deposit used attractant packaging in trash for collection. Wash hands with soap and water.
Catching the Queens
Wasp, hornet and yellowjacket queens hibernate during the winter, then emerge to look for the nest sites. Paper wasp queens are the first to emerge, usually in late winter. Hornet and yellowjacket queens emerge later, during the first warm days of spring. When you use the W-H-Y® Trap at that time, you capture some queens and reduce the likelihood that a nest will be established nearby. Insects caught this early in the season may not be numerous, but each queen captured represents one less nest later on. Once queens begin nest building, the W-H-Y® Trap may have periods of lower catches until worker populations grow.